Burrr it’s cold outside! Snow is on the ground and winter officially starts today! Ensure that your home is ready for the winter season by following our maintenance tips below.
INTERIOR WINTER MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Monitor the relative humidity in your home with a hygrometer; you should maintain 35 to 40 percent. This can be controlled by using your exhaust fans, and dehumidifier.
- Condensation on glass, mainly during the winter months, leads to deterioration of the window and the opening surrounding it. To minimize condensation, use your kitchen, bath or furnace fans to reduce your home’s relative humidity. Open drapes, shades and blinds to allow warm indoor air circulation against windows.
- Install a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture in the basement.
- Inspect and change your furnace filter per manufacturer recommendations.
- Change or clean your range hood filter to avoid grease and food accumulation.
- Check the PVC ring under your sinks. This ring is located directly above the PVC trap. Verify that these round rings are hand tight so that water will not leak.
- Inspect and change batteries, in your thermostat.
- Confirm all windows are closed and locked.
- To minimize the potential for a frozen plumbing line/pipe in severe weather conditions, do not lower the heat to less than 55 degrees. Leave cabinet doors open under sinks to allow warm air to circulate. In the event of a power outage, leave faucets on slightly so water can run slowly. If frozen pipes occur, contact a plumber.
EXTERIOR WINTER MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Check gutters and roof for excessive ice/snow build up. Ice damming can cause roof leaks and may result in drywall/insulation damage. Remove ice/snow with a broom/snow rake.
- Do not use salt or ice removers on concrete; they will cause pitting and/or spalling. We recommend using sand for traction.
- Keep your exterior lights on for safety during the evening.
- Inspect all air intake and exhaust ports. Keep them clear of any obstructions such as overgrown shrubbery and snow.
- Lube the overhead garage door and track.
Always remember, if you do not feel confident in performing any of these duties, please contact a professional to assist you. And don’t forget to send us your best seasonal photos for our Winter Photo Contest and you’ll be entered for your chance to win $100 cash!