Summer has officially arrived and it’s time for some fun in the sun! While you are out cooling down at the nearest lake or pool, be sure your Veridian home is set to beat the heat with our Summer Maintenance Tips.
Also, don’t forget to send us your best seasonal photo for our summer photo contest! Submit your photo(s) on our Facebook page or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win $100! All entries must be submitted by August 26, 2022
INTERIOR SUMMER MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
- Monitor the relative humidity in your home with a hygrometer; you should maintain 35 to 40 percent. This can be controlled by using your exhaust fans, air conditioning and dehumidifier.
- If your home is equipped with a water softener, fill the tank with solar salt. Check that the time is set correctly.
- Check your smoke/carbon monoxide detector and vacuum the outside of units to clean them.
- If your exterior doors are equipped with an adjustable threshold, they may need to be adjusted for optimal operation and/or energy efficiency.
- Confirm all windows operate properly.
- Inspect and change your furnace filter per manufacturer recommendation (clean lint from clothes dryer exhaust pipes).
EXTERIOR SUMMER MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
- Wash siding and masonry with a hose. Clean screens and windows.
- Clean out weepholes. (Weepholes are small openings on the exterior of windows and sliding patio door frames that allow water to move outside the track.)
- Seal your exterior concrete driveway, garage floor and sidewalk with a concrete sealer.
- Apply a summer fertilizer product to your yard. Remove any excess fertilizer that may have landed on the concrete.
- Install trees and plantings as needed, per the neighborhood restrictive covenants. Always call Digger’s Hotline (811) to locate underground utilities before planting trees, rototilling a garden spot.
- Do not dispose of yard waste in neighborhood greenspaces. Find the nearest Yard Waste Site by visiting your city’s website.
If you do not feel confident in performing any of these duties, please contact a professional.